The Holidays are upon us and, unfortunately, if you're laid up from surgery or on crutches, all of the merriment can be a bit overwhelming. Our suggestion? Curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and settle in to a marathon of movies featuring inspirational characters who beat the odds.
|Image by *USB* ; Creative Commons
In no particular order...
- It's a Wonderful Life A man is visited on Christmas Eve by his guardian angel who shows him all that he's done for others during his life.
- Chariots of Fire Two competing Olympic athletes forge a friendship against all odds.
- Field of Dreams An Iowa farmer builds a baseball diamond in his fields where legends from the Chicago Black Sox come to play.
- Mr. Holland's Opus High school music teacher and composer realizes success is in how you define it.
- Rocky A struggling boxer gets his one chance against a heavyweight champion.
- Cinderella Man Another story of a boxer who became an unexpected champion.
- World's Fastest Indian A New Zealander builds an Indian motorcycle and sets a world record.
- The Sound of Music A woman leaves the convent and becomes a governess to children - finding unforeseen love and family.
- The Pursuit of Happiness A struggling businessman loses everything, yet with custody of his son, preservers to make ends meet.
- Shawshank Redemption Two men, while in prison, forge an uncommon friendship.
What would you add?